05-Veteran GI Bill SDI Instructor Package
Veteran GI Bill SDI Instructor
SDI Open Water SCUBA Diver Instructor
GETTING STARTED IS EASY
SIGN UP FOR A PROGRAM
Register and pay for the program of your choice with DiveQuest Adventures.
SUBMIT VA FORM 22-0803
Complete the pre-filled VA Form 22-0803 linked below and upload to the VA website or mail to your regional VA processing office for reimbursement.
You must have your proof of purchase / receipt.
EARN YOUR CERTS AND LICENSES
Whether your goal is to become a diver, grow your skills, or to start teaching diving to others, our programs will give you the knowledge you need to succeed.
ABOUT THE COURSE...
SDI OPEN WATER SCUBA DIVER INSTRUCTOR (OWSDI)
The SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor (OWSDI) course is designed to teach current Divemasters or Assistant Instructors certified with a recognized dive training organization the knowledge to effectively function as an open water scuba diver instructor. This program is divided into two sections, an instructor development course (IDC) and an instructor evaluation course (IEC).
Who this course is for:
- Individuals that wish to share their love for the underwater world with others
- Minimum age 18
- Certified diver for a minimum of 6 months
- Proof of 100 logged dives completed in a number of different environments with varying depths
- Be certified as a SDI Divemaster, SDI Assistant Instructor, or equivalent
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen provider*, where local law permits
* Note: CPR, first aid, and oxygen provider courses may be combined with the IDC Program by qualified instructors
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- SDI Standards and Procedures
- History of SDI
- Products and procedures
- How to place an order
- Registration procedures
- Yearly renewals
- Liability and insurance
- Risk management
- Waivers and releases
- Filling out an accident report
- Methods of instruction
- Teaching theory, methods and oral communications
- Lesson preparation
- Use of training aids
- SDI home study program, use of knowledge quest
- Successfully selling scuba
- Budgeting courses
- Recruiting students
- Organizing and scheduling a course
- Retail sales
- Instructor ethics
- Physics and physiology of diving
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Present a minimum of
- Two classroom presentations
- Two lessons in confined water
- Two lessons in open water
- Show preparation, planning and control in
- Dive management
- Diving activities
- Perform, to demonstration quality, one complete rescue scenario
- Perform a 10 minute survival-float, without the use of swimming aids
- Complete a 400 metre swim on the surface, non-stop, any stroke, without the use of swimming aids, in less than 10 minutes; swim goggles permitted
- Complete a 800 metre swim with mask, snorkel, and fins non-stop without the use of arms in less than 17 minutes
- Bring a diver, simulating unconsciousness, up from depth, not greater than 6 metres / 20 feet; at the surface swim them 100 metres in less than 4 minutes
- Pool/confined water
- Candidates must perform, to demonstration quality, all skills listed in the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Course
- Pool/confined water problem solving
- Open Water
- In open water candidates must perform, to demonstration quality, all skills listed in the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Course
- Open water problem solving
Required Skill Performance for IEC, the student must:
- Present a minimum of
- One classroom presentation, minimum time 15 minutes in duration
- One full lesson in confined water
- One full lesson in open water
- The evaluating instructor trainer must verify all required subjects were covered and skills were performed
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may:
- Teach the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, Advanced Adventure Diver Specialty, Computer Diver, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Assistant Instructor course
SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor minimum requirements:
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Instructor written exam or online equivalent
- Successfully complete the IDC and the IEC
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning class planning and execution
All Scuba equipment is included except mask/snorkel, fins/booties.
Once the certification process starts, you have 1 year to complete the program.
There are no refunds, instead, we offer make-up classes/dives.