04-Veteran GI Bill SDI Assistant Instructor Package
Veteran GI Bill SDI Assistant Instructor
SDI Assistant Instructor
GETTING STARTED IS EASY
SIGN UP FOR A PROGRAM
Register and pay for the program of your choice with DiveQuest Adventures.
SUBMIT VA FORM 22-0803
Complete the pre-filled VA Form 22-0803 linked below and upload to the VA website or mail to your regional VA processing office for reimbursement.
You must have your proof of purchase / receipt.
EARN YOUR CERTS AND LICENSES
Whether your goal is to become a diver, grow your skills, or to start teaching diving to others, our programs will give you the knowledge you need to succeed.
ABOUT THE COURSE...
SDI ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR
The SDI Assistant Instructor Course is designed to build on the SDI Divemaster Program by gaining practical teaching experience, learning to prepare lesson plans, and give academic presentations. You will work with an instructor to gain experience teaching before moving on to the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor level. Once you complete the Specialty Instructor training with a qualified SDI Instructor Trainer, you can become qualified to teach several SDI Specialty Diver courses.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed to have students gain practical teaching experience with an active SDI Instructor
- Minimum age 18
- Certified SDI Divemaster or equivalent
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen provider,* where local law permits
- Provide proof of at least 60 logged dives or 50 logged dives and 25 hours underwater accumulated time
- Possess the minimum instructional equipment, as defined in leadership course standards section two of this manual
* Note: CPR, first aid, and oxygen provider courses may be combined with the IDC Program by qualified instructors
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Assistant Instructor Diver Course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- SDI Standards and Procedures
- History of SDI
- Products and procedures
- How to place an order
- Yearly renewals
- SDI requirements for SDI Assistant Instructor certification
- SDI Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibilities of an SDI Assistant Instructor
- Liability and insurance
- Risk management
- Waivers and releases
- Filling out an accident report
- Course planning
- Preparation, planning and control in dive management and diving activities
- Pool/confined water and open water procedures
- Practical experience in assisting with the training of open water dives
- Pool/confined water and open water problem solving
- How to conduct a snorkeling course
- How to conduct an inactive diver/refresher course
- Emergency procedures
- First aid
- Oxygen (O2) administration
- Cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Assist in all required courses
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
- Complete a 400 metre swim on the surface, non-stop, any stroke, without the use of swimming aids, in less than 10 minutes; swim goggles permitted
- Complete a 800 metre swim with mask, snorkel, and fins non-stop without the use of arms in less than 17 minutes
- Provide proof of 60 logged dives
- Bring a diver, simulating unconsciousness, up from depth, not greater than 6 metres/20 feet; at the surface swim them 100 metres in less than 4 minutes
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may:
- Teach and certify students in the SDI Snorkeling Course
- Conduct the SDI Inactive Diver/Refresher Course
- Conduct the knowledge quest review in the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver course under the guidance of an active SDI Instructor
- Assist an active SDI Instructor during approved diving courses, provided the activities are similar to the graduate’s prior training
- Supervise and conduct dives for certified divers provided the activities are similar to the graduate’s prior training
- Teach approved specialties after receiving instructor training in those specialties
SDI Assistant Instructor Diver minimum requirements:
- Demonstrate all open water diver skills to instructor quality
- Complete the SDI Assistant Instructor exam, or online version, with a minimum score of 80 percent and 100 percent remediation
All Scuba equipment is included except mask/snorkel, fins/booties.
Once the certification process starts, you have 1 year to complete the program.
There are no refunds, instead, we offer make-up classes/dives.